Friday, June 26, 2009

80 years old and going strong

On Saturday night we all had dinner together as a family to celebrate Pop's 80th birthday. He actually turned 80 on 10th June but this was the first night since then that we could all get together and celebrate.

It was a really good night full of fun and laughter and reminiscing - Uncle Tony made a speech which was a bit of a surprise and everyone had a great time. It left me thinking that we don't do things like this enough and got me thinking about the birthday boy himself.

I thought about just what it is that makes him (and Nan) so special to our family. I guess it is a combination of being interesting and interested. They are two of the most interesting people I have ever met. They come from a time when there was no electricity, cars, television or any of the modern conveniences that we enjoy and they now live in a world of computers, technology and mobile phones (all of which they use). They have a rich history of life experiences that they have passed on to their grand-children and now their great-grandchildren and whenever they tell a story of their early life my kids are always completely entranced with their stories of the way things used to be.

Recently Gabrielle did an english assignment about their lives which consisted of interviewing them and then we scrap-booked their photos and stories. I asked them the question about whether they would rather live in today's world with its modern conveniences or back then when life was harder work but simpler. They both said that they enjoy the things of life that make it easier but that nothing can replace the way of life back then when people had respect for each other and appreciated the simple things in life.

By being interested in their grand-children's lives they have made sure that the next generation will always remember the kind of people they are and have made us all feel loved and encouraged. Thanks Nan and Pop for being so special and Happy Birthday Pop xx


2 comments:

Debbie said...

Just discovered your blog. Hope you don't mind if I check in from time to time. There are some nice pics here. I like the one of Peter and Dawn. They are a great couple arn't they. Very special people. Hope Peter enjoyed his birthday and has a lot more of them.

The Lovell Family said...

Thanks Debbie,
I have been checking out your blog too. Hope you don't think I'm a stalker. You have some really interesting and funny stories on there and I really enjoy reading them!